Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Henry's March 5K

On Sunday, March 22, Roos, Connor and I participated in the 2nd annual Henry's March in Turlock.  This run is for Henry Johnson.  

We got there early and hung out in the gym at Stanislaus State University.  They had free food and booths with vendors.  They had face painting for all pre-registered kids and were selling raffle tickets.  The goal was to raise as much money as last year, which was a whopping $25,000.  
The 5K started at 9:15.  I wasn't sure how much I had in my legs since it was only one week post CTM.  I was shooting for 22 minutes.  
There was a significant head wind but my legs felt good.  I hit the one mile mark but didn't want to look at my watch.  I saw the first place girl in front of me and Steve from our running group slightly in front of her.  I just kept my sights on them.  I started to close the gap as we hit the 2 mile mark.  I had the youngster of the run, she looked over her shoulder twice.  I finally closed the gap around the 3 mile mark.  I came up along side the young girl and congratulated her on a good job, then I passed her and caught up to Steve.  I told him to pick it up and sprint in.  Just as he started to sprint and I started to sprint, the young girl blew by both of us!  She finished in 21:24.  Steve finished 21:28 and I finished 21:29.  
I was very happy with my run.  My legs felt pretty good.  I took second female overall and first in age group.  The girl who won, was 26 years old and it was her second organized run.  I congratulated her on a nice job with an awesome kick at the finish!
Roos and Connor walked the course with an great time of 46:06.
We hung around for awards and the raffle.  It was a very fun day.  
The total amount raised for this year was $21,400.  Not bad for a crappy economy.



 


 




Next up: Lake Sonoma 50 mile on Saturday March 28.

Run fun....

No comments: