Thursday, March 5, 2009

Sequoia 50K

 "I peed my pants for the first time while racing. So yes people, that is what you saw on my shorts as I headed off for the 20k loop."
Taken from the blog of Caitlin Smith, overall winner of the 50K.  That must be why I didn't win, I stopped to pee!!!  Oh, and one other small detail, I run slow!!
Seriously, congratulations to her.  She came in second overall, took 30 minutes off the women's course record and it was her first ever 50K.  She will be running WTC in 2 weeks and yes,  she'll be a force to be reckoned with.
Several members of the ShadowChase running club headed over to the Oakland hills to run Sequoia trail run hosted by the ever popular Pacific Coast Trail Runs.  I was excited because this was my first of Wendell and Sarah's runs this year.  
We started at 8:30 a.  I usually have a time goal that I establish before each run but this time, I had a heart rate goal.  I wanted to keep my heart rate in the "moderate endurance" zone.  
The course was nice, a little sloppy on the French trail due to all the rain we've received lately but still beautiful.  I felt good.  I tried to concentrate on fluid and nutrition.  I came across the 30K loop at 3:29.  Not to bad.  I headed back out for the final 20K loop.  I felt pretty strong.  I passed several people on the last loop, which is always a boost, and finished right at 6:00.  Overall, I was happy with how the day went.  My heart rate stayed exactly where I wanted it. 
I think the climbs on CTM will be a challenge.  I really wish I had more hill training under my belt but it is what it is.  I just need to focus on that CTM is a training run for Western. 
Of course, Anita and I hit our favorite post run food.  Most people would cringe at our food choice but it really makes sense - lots of sodium, protein, carbs and fat (well, mostly fat) but it does taste good!!!


Run fun.....

No comments: